Saturday 26 March 2016

Recipe Post 2016 N0.9- Flower Surprise Cupcakes

Happy Easter everyone!

Firstly, thank you so much for all your comments and +1's. I cannot believe that this is my 21st recipe post on BakingBoutique already! How time goes...

I've decided to take this week's post from "The Chocolate Box Secrets" written by Cathy Cassidy and bake Flower Surprise Cupcakes(this recipe was also featured on my Top Twelve Recipes of 2015). Seeing as it is the end of March and the start of Spring, I thought it'd be nice to bake sweet,cute cupcakes!


In order to make these gorgeous cakes, you'll need:
110g of unsalted butter    
110g of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 medium-sized eggs,beaten
Strawberry jam
Lemon curd

For icing, you'll need:

110g of softened butter
220g of icing sugar
1/2teaspoon of vanilla extract  
1/2 tbsp of milk(to loosen to mixture if required)

Method to making this flower cupcakes:

As always, preheat your oven to 180c/350F/Gas Mark 4. Prepare twelve paper cupcake cases in a muffin tin.

Beat together the butter and sugar with either a free-standing
mixer, handheld mixer or the old fashioned way with a wooden spoon until pale and fluffy.

Sift the flour,baking powder, vanilla extract and beaten eggs
into the mixture. Beat until the mixture is smooth.

Spoon two-thirds of  mixture into each paper case and bake for around 15-20 minutes or until the cakes have risen and
look golden-brown and firm to touch.


Cool in the muffin tin for ten minutes before transferring on to a cooling rack.

Once completely cool, use a small sharp knife to cut a small hole in
the top of each cupcake,halfway into the centre. Fill half the holes with strawberry jam and the other half lemon curd. The whole point of doing this is the surprise of not knowing which cupcake you have!

Method to making the icing:
Beat the butter until at a fluffy consistency. Then beat in the icing sugar a little at a time.
Add the vanilla extract to soften the mixture. Add milk to loosen it if needed.
Pipe the icing on to the cupcakes or spread it onto  the cakes with a knife.

I decorated my cupcakes with fondant flowers which I had made myself using the fondant recipe from my Red
Velvet Cookie recipe. 

I must say, mixing the ingredients to old-fashioned way is far more difficult than allowing a freestanding mixer to mix all the ingredients for me. However, it was quieter
and less messy surprisely...

I hope you've enjoyed this week's recipe and have enjoyed Easter for its true meaning. Comment below to let me know how you plan to spend your Easter Holidays or e-mail me to chocolatecupcachocolatecupcakes08@gmail.com and let me know if there are any recipes you'd like me to feature.

Have an eggs-cellent Easter!

#sweetreats xx 


No comments:

Post a Comment