Thursday 31 December 2015

New Year's Special on BakingBoutique!

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope you enjoyed Saturday's post on Top 12 recipes of 2015.

 Every New Year, my family and I conjure up a buffet containing a variety of food from all around the world such as mini burgers, mini Jamaican patties ,Swedish bread rolls, Australian mango and prawn skewers and so on. 

This week's recipe is a sweet treat that's suitable for a buffet like mine or a picnic- I found it on this baking website that I'm signed up to called Yummly. You can sign up with an Google account and it's such an awesome website loaded with plenty of tasty recipes and it's the kind of website that's friendly with food lovers, chefs or even baker like myself and many others around the globe!  

For this New Year's bite, you'll need the following:
150g of unrefined golden caster sugar (I used Billington's)
100g of unsalted butter (softened)
2 large eggs
2tsp of lemon juice 
225g of self-raising white flour (I used Allison flour)
2tsp of baking powder
165g of plain yoghurt

Ingredients for the buttercream: 
100g of unsalted butter
100g of mascarpone cheese
350g of unrefined golden icing sugar (again I used Billington's)
1tsp of vanilla extract 



Decorating option:
450g of white chocolate
          Sprinkles


 Equipment required for recipe:

    About 24 cake pop sticks
    Free-standing/handheld mixer
    Round/square baking tin                                                                   Baking Spray


Method into making this New Year's recipe:

As always, pre-heat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan/ Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 10inch round or square baking tray with non stick baking spray.

Beat butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Once it's the butter and sugar batter is fluffy and light, lower the speed to medium and continue to mix.

Add the eggs one at a time. Throw in the lemon zest and juice then combine the flour and baking powder together before sifting.

On low speed, add the ingredients and the yoghurt alternately: 3 parts flour, 2 parts yoghurt. Make sure to begin and end with the flour.

Pour the mixture into the pan just over halfway and bake for 35-40mins or until a skewer is pierced into the centre of the cake and comes out clean. Leave to cool.

In order to whip up the butter-cream , beat the butter and mascarpone cheese together until well combined.

Gradually, add the icing sugar until smooth and then beat in the vanilla extract. 


Once the cake is completely cool, crumble it using either your fingers or a food processor. Mix the cake crumbs with the butter-cream until you get a dough-like consistency that you can easily mould into balls. Wrap and refrigerate for 1hr.

Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Remove cake pop mixture from fridge and begin rolling into small balls-they should fit comfortably into the palm of your hand.

Place cake balls onto the tray and place back in the fridge for a further 10 mins or until the balls are firm.

Remove balls from fridge. Then, over a pan of simmering water, melt a small amount of chocolate in a heatproof/microwavable bowl.

Dip the end of each stick into the chocolate around 2cm in. Insert a stick into the centre of each cake ball. Now you're ready to add the finishing touches to your lemoney cake pops.

Melt the remaining chocolate. Holding by the stick , dip each cake ball into the chocolate until completely covered. Gently, tap off any excess. Decorate cake pops with sprinkles of your choice. 

And there you have it! Your ending result should be mouth-watering lemon cake pops!

I hope you have a happy New Year, fix up an AWESOME buffet, check out the website Yummly and not find it too difficult to think of New Year Resolutions (I already know what mine are). 


Happy New Year once again!


#sweetreats xxx






4 comments:

  1. Hi #sweetreats! I'm actually a fashion blogger but a friend recommended this blog on baking to me and said I'd like it-my friend definitely got that right! I really like this week's post and I hope you do more in the future!

    Hugs & kisses,

    MissFF

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with MissFF- I really like this week's post and I beg you to do more in 2016!

    BeautyBe Blogger xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much MissFF and BeautyBe Blogger- I really appreciate your positive comments. And don't worry- I will be posting more baking blog posts in 2016 so stay tuned!

    #sweetreats xxx

    weblink: www.bakingboutiquebirds.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blogpost is great! I've wanted to try cake pops for a while and these I'll definitely try!

    Stella xx
    http://onegirlblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete